St Joseph’s Cathedral parish, is located at the heart of Mariannhill and provides Spiritual and Social service to various surrounding communities, namely Mariannhill, Mpola, Tshelimnyama, Nazareth, Mariannhill Park, Nkoseleni - to mention a few. The church has been in existence for many decades and has contributed immensely in laying Christian values. Built in 1908, St Joseph’s Cathedral is the main seat of the Bishop of the Diocese of Mariannhill.
Our main facilities
Services are conducted from the main cathedral structure located at Abbot Pfanner street. The church is surrounded by a lower and higher primary school as well as the St Francis College. All these facilities are owned by the Diocese of Mariannhill. The cathedral also maintains a cemetery facility dedicated to its members and this is located south of Vilakazi street. Next to the cemetery locates an old parish house which is now used as a boarding facility. Various smaller buildings are also found within the cathedral precinct and owned by the Diocese.
WHAT MAKES US SPECIAL
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
The work of the church is underpinned by spiritual services that are offered mainly on Sundays but also often extended to local areas on special arrangement basis. This is intended to support the elderly, frail, disabled and many members who are unable to come to the cathedral itself. Whilst traditionally the cathedral is reliant on physical visibility it seeks to play a much more active societal role through modern media mechanisms. In this way it will continue with its programmes of youth development. Church services and new programmes will in future be streamlined through this web.